Thursday, July 28, 2016

My Rock

Today was another HOT and humid day (it was 113 with the heat index), so we headed to the church to run around inside to get rid of some energy.  We parked on the gravel driveway just so we wouldn't have to walk out in the heat for as long.  As I was unloading the Hooties, Tobias leaned over and started picking up a rock...and then another...and then another.  I was trying to coax him to come quickly so we could get inside where the A/C was.  But he kept stopping and admiring each rock...picking out just the right one.  This is our DAILY routine wherever we happen to go.  For some reason his rock collecting bothered me today.  But we were able to make it into the church without me losing it!  All you mommas out there know that was a miracle in itself!! We spent about 30 minutes doing obstacles and relays in the nice air-conditioned church.  The whole time, Tobias held on to his prized rock.  Just before we left the church to go get some lunch, he needed to go to the bathroom, so we stopped by the restroom.  While he was in there, he must of put his rock down because we got outside and he realized he didn't have it any more.  He got upset, but I told him that it was OK because we had plenty of rocks at home.  A part of me was secretly glad to not have one...more...rock to pick up. I could tell he was a little upset, but he didn't have a meltdown...another miracle I witnessed that day!!   But it didn't last very long because as soon as we got to the gravel driveway, he started looking again for just the right rock.  He began picking up one...and then another...and then another.  I felt myself starting to get frustrated...I just wanted to get in the van and start the A/C...not wait for him to collect all of his rocks.  And in that moment the Lord reminded me of this verse:

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:2

He reminded me that I need to be like Tobias...looking for my Rock in ever situation.  Being excited each time I encounter my Rock.  That I need to study my Rock in such a way that I am constantly learning something new about Him.  When I misplace my Rock...meaning not spending time with Him...then I need to be upset AND I need to go "looking" for Him again.  

As I was reading scripture and gathering my thoughts to write this blog, I came across this verse:

For you are my rock and my fortress;
    and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
Psalm 31:3 

I am so thankful in that moment today that the Lord spoke to me...that there was enough room in my frustration for Him to lead and guide me.  And now, when I walk through my front door and see this container of rocks, I will think of my Rock! 

Oh...this is one of three containers that collect rocks by our front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment